Monday, June 6, 2011

Blue Valentine

I'm always interested in movies about marriages/relationships gone wrong (Two for the Road with Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn immediately comes to mind). A good one is Blue Valentine starring Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams (2010). It came out in theaters around the time that Black Swan came out, which I liked alot. Anyway, the director just kind of captures certain "moments" juxtaposed in the lives of his characters and lets the audience figure out what is going on under the surface. What caught my eye was the effect that the dysfunctional families of the two principles had on their lives. I understand that both Gosling and Williams actually lived in the same house for a month, shopping and picking fights with each other, to prepare for their roles. Although kind of loose in structure,

I recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment